Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Alcoholics Anonymous - Short Screen Play



INT. ELEVATOR – DAY

ARTHUR waits for the elevator in a downtown office building. He’s fidgety as he buttons up his coat. The elevator door sounds and he looks up, steps inside and presses the lobby button. The elevator stops on its way down on the 23rd floor and OFFICER PLOUSKY steps in, puts his hands behind his back and rocks back and forth on his toes whistling to the elevator music. He makes eye contact with Arthur and smiles.

Plousky

Morning.

Arthur gives him a quick nod and a fake smile and pushes the lobby button repeatedly, as if he’s trying to speed the elevator up. It jerks and the lights turn off and then back on and then the elevators motor is heard, it sounds like its powering down.

Plousky

Oh boy…

Arthur

Damn it, not now, please not now.

Plousky

Ah relax these things are safe, they’ll explode before the cable snaps. They can practically haul jet engines.

Arthur

That’s not what I’m worried about.

Plousky raises his eyebrows and nods at Arthur as he reaches across to where Arthur is standing to hit the “Push for help” button. An OLD LADY who sounds like she’s been smoking a pack a day since high school responds.


Old Lady

High and rise services, what’s your situation?

Plousky

Good morning ma’am, we seem to be stuck.

Old Lady

Is everyone alright? No ones hurt?

Plousky glances over at Arthur whose scarf is lying by his feet as he unbuttons his coat, sweating, his hands are trembling.

Plousky

Yeah we’re fine, buddy here is just in a hurry, and a little stressed.


Old Lady

Hold tight I’ve notified the buildings staff and they’re working on getting you out now, I’ll keep you posted.

Arthur

What do you know about stress?

Sweat rings are now starting to appear on Arthur’s shirt around his neck and under his arms.

Plousky

I can tell you’re under a load of it, that or you’re terribly claustrophobic.

Arthur

You kidding, I love solitude. Cops just make me nervous.

Plousky flips his badge into a small pocket on his vest and winks at Arthur.

Arthur

You’re still in uniform.

Plousky

Well if it’ll stop you from having a stroke I can undress, although I didn’t think you were gay.

Arthur

That’s alright, keep your cloths on officer.

Plousky

If it makes you feel any better I’m off duty, popped in to see the dentist after work. Doctor Genya Slavinta, best looking lady to ever stick her fingers inside my mouth.

Arthur

That’s too bad, now that she knows you’re a cop you probably blew your shot.

Plousky

Hey, I still love my kids pal.

Arthur

Yeah whatever you say.

Arthur pinches the bridge of his nose and forces his eyes shut. Then he lets his hands drop to his sides and nervously starts tapping the side of his leg.

Old Lady

Are you still alright in there? They’re working on the problem. Have you out in no time.

Plousky

Hear that, nothing to worry about. Listen man we might be stuck in here for a while. My names Plousky, just ignore the uniform okay?

Plousky offers his hand and Arthur shakes it.

Arthur

I’m Arthur.

Plousky

So what’s the matter Arthur?

You look stressed.

Arthur

I just need a drink, man, I came here late today for my AA meeting. The damn bus driver got spit on, he had it coming. He threw everyone on the bus 20 minutes behind waiting for the cops to arrive. Didn’t let a single person off ‘till they showed up.

Plousky

That’s terrible. Althoug there’s nothing wrong with an early morning drink now and again, I mean it’s not even that early in the morning anymore. It’s practically noon.

Arthur

My doctor called last night when I got back from work, turns out my livers on the frits. Can’t have one even if I wanted to… which I do, badly.

Arthur crosses his arms, lifts one up to his mouth and bites down on his curved index finger.

Plousky

Well you know what they say, where there’s a will there’s a way but damn, from the looks of it you ain’t any will.

Arthur

And now a cop is telling me I’m hopeless. I’m trapped in an elevator and I have to take a piss.

Plousky

Sounds like You’ve got it rough. But you know, it can always be worse.

Arthur

How can it possibly get any worse? How can my life become any more of a wreck? Do you have any idea how hard it is to be me right now? I have to get up every single morning and go to work, I come home late at night with a busted back from moving concrete to hear that I’m in the worse shape of my life and I’m about to lose a vital organ. I can’t even do the only thing that gives me some serenity in life anymore and I’m expected to make it on time to AA meetings in this hell hole of a city. For god’s sake I don’t even own a car. Much good that would do me, sure I’ll always be on time but do you have any idea how expensive car insurance is? I’ll be the punctual prick with a hole in his wallet who can’t find anymore joy in life.

Plousky

You have a wife?

Arthur

No I’m single, great surprise huh?

Plousky

Well in that case go get married and have two kids. Then you'll have the right to complain about life. Top it off by becoming a cop and come home to see your wife sitting on some guys lap. He’s playing with your kids and from outside, in the cold after a 12 hour shift you struggle to unlock the door because your hands are too cold to grip your keys. As you step through the door you hear your kid laughing, calling this guy you've never seen before in your life "daddy". So you hp over to this guy and throw him out of your house, the next day your wife knocks your teeth out with a hammer and leaves you with divorce papers. Turns out the heartless gold digger is after half of what you own while all she did to contribute to the life you made for the two of you was stay at home, drink margaritas and take care of your kids while you bust your chops arresting crack heads and drug dealers.

Arthur

That happened last night?

Plousky

That happened two months ago, this morning after work my dentures fell out. Listen, pal, my advice to you is to stop worrying about yourself and stop complaining about everything that goes wrong with your life. The sooner you realize that you’re the one that’s caused everything you’ve complained to me about, the sooner you’ll start taking responsibility for your actions and then maybe you can sit down and not worry about having a drink. A smart person appreciates the time they spend sober. Plan how to deal or avoid the inevitable problems that come across you in life.




Arthur

It’s not my fa-


Plousky

It’s absolutely you’re fault that you became a washed up alcoholic without a family working his ass off as god knows what kind of construction worker, to support the addiction that you caused yourself to have.

Arthur

… I always wanted to go back to school.

Plousky

Well maybe if you stop drinking you’ll think about it and realize that that’s the right thing to do. Maybe a year from now you’ll be college thinking back about the cop that changed your appalling excuse for a life for the better.

The two stand in silence for a beat and Arthur bends over to pick up his scarf, he clenches it in both fists. The lights turn off and then back on again the elevator doors open and the two of them walk out without saying another word. The door closes behind them as they step out of the elevator.



Fade to black.


The end.